3.8K views

Has any one else had problems with the ethan allen farmhouse table? We have had ours for 1.5 years and it has a shine that can't be wiped off, scratches and dings that come from the slightest bit of use and is actually wearing away at the edges.

This table was purchased as a family table and they are now telling me I need to put a piece of glass on top. Who wants a farmhouse table with glass on top?

The local store has agreed to replace the top, but I know this will just happen again because we have been very careful with this table.

Honestly, the table we had previously that was purchased from Naked Furniture and finished to our specifications had a better life than this much more expensive table.

I'm wondering, has Ethan Allen lowered their workmanship?

Beware if you buy from them.

Comments

Fort Washington, Maryland, United States #1259198

I have the same problem.Different table but exact same problem and same suggestion.

Disappointing as I had my grandmothers ethan Allen table that was over 30years old and was in fabulous shape after all those years.

Suwanee, Georgia, United States #992619

I have this exact table and really wished I had seen this review before buying. We have all of the same problems with our table purchased in 2014, BUYER BEWARE. Not high quality like I thought it would be, very disappointing.

Don't buy furniture from Ethan allen.In 2008 we bought their Ethan Allen Farmhouse planked top table and black windsor chairs.

In a few weeks the finish began wearing off the seats of the chairs.

Their customer service sent a guy over who told me it was all my fault, that my child's booster seat caused the error when in fact it was happening all all 6 chairs not just the one my child sat in.They are horrible at customer service and in my mind over priced!

to Anonymous Buffalo, New York, United States #942489

omg im going through the same problem.the chairs were 300 dollars and are falling apart!

the table has soooo many scratches and chips soooo sad!they haven't called me back in 3 weeks

Holly Springs, North Carolina, United States #714336

We purchased the farmhouse table for $1200 in may 2013 and in July (2 months of use) the finish started to peel off on the table top starting at the grooves that run through the table.They sent out a person to take a look and they asked what we were cleaning the table with.

Told them we used dish soap and warm water. They insisted it was water damage and use of chemicals and would not fix or replace. I wish that I had read reviews prior to purchasing....Ethan Allen service is horrible!

Don't be fooled by nice showroom and "designers".I will buy all my furniture elsewhere from now on....

Stay away from Ethan Allen!!! Shoddy workmanship & over-priced merchandise, topped off by a *** customer service policy make for unhappy customers.

We bought the Ethan Allen British Classics Livingston Table & MacKenzie Chairs. What JUNK! The first table was delivered with a big obvious flaw in the middle of the table and badly finished legs. The 3"x6" shiney spot on the matte finish tabletop was the obvious result of wet sanding a damaged area (scratch visible). The carved legs were visibly rough from lack of sanding/finishing & the stain color was irregular and streaky. After many phone calls & visits by a sales rep & then technicians, EA agreed to replace the table. While waiting for the replacement table, that shiney spot began to peel and flake like old nail polish. One UGLY table!

Ater 10 weeks the new table arrived. This one was nearly as bad. Blobs of dripped varnish were visible on the rounded edges of the top on 2 sides. The legs were a little more uniform in color & a little less rough, but still a far cry from what you'd call "fine furniture". So, we asked if we could have yet another table, one with a different finish on top and with painted legs. Our opinion was that their new "English Toffee" stain produced bad results. We wanted their traditional stain on the top, with painted legs which might smooth the roughness and blotchiness. The rep said that they could only replace the top as previously ordered; we'd have to keep the legs. Ten more weeks later, the 3rd top came in acceptable condition; but we still have the ugly legs.

Then there was the issue with the side chairs. After sitting on the seats for 10 minutes, our legs went numb. The seats are upholstered, but with no support in the center. So after a short time, it feels like sitting on a hard doughnut as you sink into the center hole and your circulation is cut off by the hard frame under the thighs. Even our guests asked if they could have toss pillows to sit on because they were so uncomfortable. EA agreed to replace the seats; the new ones are more firm, but in a short time we'll have to send them out for a proper upholstery job.

Needless to say, we're disappointed. We never expected high-end quality from Ethan Allen, but neither did we expect such shoddy workmanship and poor customer support. I'm sure it cost EA much more money to replace all those piece parts & send 4 different technicians & schedule 6 different deliveries, than had they just refunded our money or given us a store credit. They may have kept a customer and salvaged some respectability.

#208480

I have the same issues with my farmhouse table, also used in the kitchen. Now looks like a piece of ***. Also a spindle of the chair back has separated from the chair seat. Paid a bundle for the set, but I can't remember when I purchased or how long the warranty is.

Does any one know how long the warranty is?

you can email me, mhradek@pirnie.com

#206900

My mother had a problem with her EA sofa back in the 1960s.She wrote to the corporate office and received satisfaction.

When I had a minor issue, the local store gave me a problem. I also wrote to the company. A short time later the local store lost its franchise license from EA. Write to the company.

My only problems with their furniture have been from my own ignorance. I bought a now discontinued but popular line of furniture without understanding that pine is a soft wood and would gouge easily when exposed to small children and animals. It is easily reparable with a quality woodworker who could restore the finish. I would have done better with a solid oak.

Also, keep in mind that furniture designed for a dining room is not also designed for a kitchen with its higher temperatures, grease, and often excessive light. Choose the product for the function. Both EA and Thomasville have recommended a table mat under the tablecloth or glass over it. I have no problems with my furniture with these precautions.

When I want an exposed finish, I use my distressed farmhouse table with water rings and nicks or my antique oak pub table with a thin layer of finish.As long as I don't put a hot item on the table with an open trivet or use a crock pot which is hot, the table remains undamaged.

#203365

All I have to say here is, you're over paying for the *** table anyway.

#202783

I have been fighting with Ethan Allen for 5 years now trying to have my Farmhouse table repaired.Their response is always the same, "it is your fault".

First of all, what happened to customer service. Don't they know anything about business etiquette. It it bad business to start off by being rude to the client and telling the client it is their fault that they are having a problem with an item. Secondly, my issue is not the distressed look or the small dings or scratches in the surface of the table.

I know that wood wears over time and I am ok with that. My issue is with the so called protective finish. We were told by our "design specialist", that this table was coated with a protective coating to protect the wood from heat and moisture. After a few weeks of having the table small bubbles appeared on this coating.

After a few more weeks they popped and started to peel. As a result, we have a lot of small circles where the protective coating has peeled away. It looks terrible. After spending so much money on a table this is not what I expected it to look like in 3 months.

Ethan Allen does not want to repair the table. They want me to pay for a replacement top. Why, so the same thing can happen again. I asked them to sand the table down and refinish it without the protective coating, but they refuse.

My recommendation, do not buy this table or any other product from Ethan Allen.They do not stand by their warranty and their customer service is terrible.