1.8
Style and Design

I bought a desk from Ethan Allen in 2000, at their now long closed Alpharetta Georgia store. It is a cherry desk with a single drawer in the middle.

The veneer top has looked like crap for years now and I decided to have a new tiger maple top made for it as it was an expensive piece of furnature. I started sanding the desk legs and the skirt. I took the top off which is particle board and discovered the only real wood on the desk are the legs and the drawer. everything else is veneered partial board.

So in all about 80% of my cherry desk is partical board.

As a side note it was made in the USA as it is woodburned into side of desk drawer. I can not remember exactly how mush I paid for it, but it was between $800 and $1000.

Review about: Ethan Allen Table.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

I liked: Service provided while making the sale.

I didn't like: Poor quality.

Comments

YearlySaola

Thank you for your feedback! Quality is at the root of everything we do, and we are sorry you are not happy with your desk.Our advanced capabilities and the desire to provide a wider range of style options to our clients enable us to incorporate veneers into the manufacturing process. Certain areas of solid wood furniture are made from veneer to ensure stability, such as the back of case goods, drawer bottoms, sides of entertainment centers and side rails on most beds.Again, we appreciate the feedback and will certainly use this to help make our company better!Sincerely, Jordan.

to YearlySaola #1476921

Hello Jordan thank you for your reply, a few questions for you if you would be so kind to answer them. First exactly how is veneered particle board more stable than actual wood?

How can a piece of furnature that is 80% vernered partical board be considered solid wood (of course there is no such thing yet to my knowledge of liquid or gases wood) ok I'm being a smart *** here? You wrote above " Our advanced capabilities and the desire to provide a wider range of style options to our clients enable us to incorporate veneers into our manufacturing process". Is that a sweet corporate way of saying look we make too many styles of furnature and real wood is expensive and a cheep veneer is just as good as real wood for the companies bottom line and our clients won't know the difference for years or never.Back to my desk, I should be getting the Amish made replacement top in tiger maple in a few weeks and I have a local cabinet maker getting rid of the partical board skirt and drawer supports and replacing it with actual solid cherry wood. This whole process will cost me about $400 and a few hours of myself sanding and staining.

The cabinet maker and the furnature store are both making a profit as they should. Ironically there is a desk very similar to the partical board Ethan Allen desk at the furnature store less than a mile from my house made of solid maple and stained cherry for $699.

to Jeff Egan #1476928

I wish I knew how to post pics as I'd show the before and after pics I took and will take.

The 1989 sale of the company signaled the beginning of the end for the company's quality and ubiquitous presence. That "MADE IN USA" stamp may only apply to that drawer ...

and where did they get the materials ?

They've closed a number of U.S. plants since then and terminated lots of employees.